Make up a batch of Old Fashioned cocktails to serve anytime.
This infusion combines all of the flavors of the classic Old Fashioned in one, meaning you can keep a jar of prepared OFs ready on command.
Use organic oranges for this recipe, since most traditional produce growers use pesticides, and most pesticide traces are found in the peels and rinds of fruit.
Peel the oranges very thinly, and remove any remaining pith (the white stuff) with a paring knife, since that part is very bitter. Alternatively, use a microplane to finely zest the rind.
I prefer Morello cherries to maraschino, but the choice is completely yours.
Shove as many orange peels as you can into a jar (I used 16oz wide mouth mason jars), add cherries, a little bit of their juice and sugar, and top off with nice bourbon. Since you’re not burning away any of the alcohol, this spirit will come out strong, so you want to make sure your base ingredients are the finest.
- 14 oz bourbon
- 2 oz sugar
- 1 orange used for zest
- Morello or maraschino cherries
- Preheat water bath to 130°F/54°C
- Remove just the zest from the oranges with a sharp vegetable peeler. If you get too much pith (the inner white stuff), use a paring knife to remove it. Otherwise the result will be too bitter.
- Add all ingredients to a sterilized mason jar.
- Let the bourbon ‘cook’ for 1-3 hours.
- Before using, strain the bourbon to remove cherries and zest.
- Serve over one ice cube and garnish with orange peel twist.