Forget the wait! Make this Limoncello-inspired infusion in just 3 hours using sous vide.
Use organic lemons for this recipe, since most traditional produce growers use pesticides, and most pesticide traces are found in the peels and rinds of fruit.
Peel the lemons very thinly, and remove any remaining pith (the white stuff) with a paring knife, since that part is very bitter. Alternatively, use a microplane to finely zest the rind.
I used 16oz wide mouth mason jars, but you can use larger or smaller jars, or ziploc freezer bags.
Shove as many lemon peels as you can into a jar, add sugar, and top off with nice vodka. Since you’re not burning away any of the alcohol, this spirit will come out strong, so you want to make sure your base ingredients are the finest.
Serve over ice or with sparkling water for a refreshing drink. So easy!
- 14 oz vodka
- 2 oz sugar
- 3 lemons used for zest
- Preheat water bath to 130°F/54°C
- Remove just the zest from the lemons with a sharp vegetable peeler. If you get too much pith (the inner white stuff), use a paring knife to remove it. Otherwise the result will be too bitter.
- Add all ingredients to a sterilized mason jar.
- Let the vodka ‘cook’ for 1-3 hours.
- Before using, strain vodka to remove the zest.
- Serve over one ice cube and garnish with sparkling water (optional) and lemon twist.